Monday, March 24, 2008

OWASP ESAPI

I've been playing around with the OWASP ESAPI since I volunteered to write some content for the OWASP Java project.

While I always knew that ESAPI was a great concept, now that I've actually used it, I see how robust it is and how much hard work went into it by Jeff Williams and his colleagues.

I like to keep things simple for myself and avoid the use of things like resource intensive IDE's (Eclipse) :-) I just like to write my simple test scripts/programs/servlets in textpad and run/compile things from the command line. That said, getting the ESAPI working took a bit of trial and error.

Once I figured out that I needed to set a system resource in my JRE which points to the location of ESAPI.properties, I was pretty much rocking and rolling. I progressed pretty easily, and as I ran into more road blocks, I realized these were just more objects that needed to be in the same folder as the properties file - such as users.txt (an adhoc user repository). I guess if I used Eclipse properly, this wouldn't be such a hassle.

But I take pride in the fact that I don't rely on any IDE to get my code to compile.

While I plan on working with ESAPI and writing about it more in the future, here is a basic list of what you need to configure to get ESAPI cooking without any IDE nonsense:

1. Download JAR: http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/files/owasp-esapi-java-1.1.1.jar

2. Install Tomcat & JDK (www.coreservlets.com has a great tutorial if you're new to this)
3. Configure environment:

CATALINA_HOME=c:\bin\tc6\apache-tomcat-6.0.16
JAVA_HOME=c:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_05
Path=C:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_05\bin
CLASSPATH=c:\dev\test;c:\program files\java\jdk1.6.0_05\lib;%CATALINA_HOME%\lib\servlet-api.jar;%CATALINA_HOME%\lib\jsp-api.jar;c:\bin\esapi\owasp-esapi-java-1.1.1.jar

4. Edit catalina.bat to include appropriate start up options in JAVA environment:
set JAVA_OPTS=-Dorg.owasp.esapi.resources="/bin/ESAPI"

5. Place ESAPI.property file and users.txt in /bin/ESAPI (or where ever you specify the path to be)

6. Configure some simple servlets that invoke the API (see OWASP ESAPI for some code samples).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job! IDE's are the devil. Unless you count XEmacs as an IDE.

Such a sad commentless blog. You need to do some SEO or something.

Santosh said...

What are your thoughts on HDIV (Http Data Integrity Validator) & OWASP Java project along with Spring Acegi Security...?